Opening Day Letter from General Manager, Ken Rider
Dear Friends of Brundage,
Opening Day is always an exciting time, and with three feet of fresh snow falling this week, we’re even more stoked to welcome skiers and riders to the mountain.
Today’s December 2 opening will go down as one of the earliest full-time openings in recent memory. Over the last 16 seasons, Brundage Mountain has opened by December 2 only one other time, which was in 2020.
The Brundage team is excited for the chance to offer some high-quality skiing and riding so early in the season. The storms that hit us over and over this week have truly transformed the mountain, but snowfall alone doesn’t make Opening Day possible.
We want to give a solid shout out to all the members of Team Brundage who’ve worked incredibly hard to make this early opening happen and we hope this gives our guests a deeper understanding of what it takes to get ‘er done:
- Ski Patrol has been working through this powerful storm cycle – in over 2 feet of fresh snow and chest-high wind drifts – to put up signs, mark boundaries, and make the mountain safe for opening. That team has also been working in a temporary facility and moving into their new facility Wednesday and Thursday after working on the mountain all day.
- Our Snowmaking, Terrain Park, and Activity Barn teams have been out in the same stormy weather conditions helping Mother Nature lay down a solid base in and around the base area.
- We took delivery of one of our new grooming cats this week, and our Vehicle Maintenance team worked very hard to get that new groomer dialed and operational along with all of our other fleet vehicles and equipment.
- Our Grooming crew has been getting familiar with that new grooming cat and working hard to wrangle all this fresh, wind drifted snow into a safe and enjoyable snow surface.
- Lift Maintenance has done everything possible to safely maintain and put the lifts into operation. They work from closing day in April right up until opening day (and through the season, as well) to perform a myriad of crucial tasks to keep the chairlifts safe and reliable.
- The Lift Operations team has been battling the elements to get the mazes set and top and bottom ramps cleared and smooth for guests to safely load and unload the lifts.
- Our new Facilities and Snow Plowing teams have worked tirelessly to shovel and plow out our base area facilities over and over, all week long and get the parking lots, road and the lodge ready for guests.
- The Employee Services crew has hired and onboarded more than a hundred seasonal employees.
- Our Snowsports School, Rental, Tune, Retail, Guest Services and Food & Beverage departments have their teams trained up and ready to serve our guests.
- We also want to share special thanks to the Marketing, Sales, Information Technology, Special Projects, and Finance teams who work behind the scenes to keep the gears turning.
That hard work seems especially gratifying this year. We’re always grateful for the loyal guests who continue to spend their limited free time and cherished family time here with us on the Best Snow in Idaho. This year, that support earned us a touching honor.
YOU, our loyal supporters, voted Brundage Mountain into the #4 position in all of North America in the USA Today Reader’s Choice awards for the 10 Best Ski Resorts in North America.
This is the third year in a row that you’ve put us in the Top 10 and our goal is to continue to deliver the type of experience that earns your loyalty and makes Brundage Mountain a favorite place to spend your time and make memories.
See you on the slopes!