- This event has passed.
Brundage Avalanche Class Level 1 – 705 Backcountry Patrol
February 7 @ 5:00 pm - February 9 @ 5:00 pm| $200
We have SOLD OUT this class.
This class will provide students with the knowledge needed to explore snow covered hills safely. This course follows the American Avalanche Association- Level 1 Avalanche Fundamentals. Students will learn how to recognize avalanche terrain, understand factors that result in avalanches and how to mitigate risk while traveling in avalanche terrain. We will also discuss how to use the avalanche triangle (Snow, Weather, Terrain) to assess the stability of the snowpack.
Expert Skier/Snowboarder. Skiers and snowboarders must have all required equipment including skis and skins, or snowboard with split board with skins. Must be comfortable with off piste skiing on ungroomed terrain in variable snow (deep powder, wind packed, etc.) and all weather conditions. Field work will be done in expert terrain (Hidden Valley) and lift accessed backcountry terrain outside the patrolled boundary.
Participants with receive a Level 1 Avalanche Certification through the American Avalanche Association (AAA).
To register for this class please contact 705Backcountry Patrol [email protected]
• Anatomy of Avalanches
• Basic slab mechanics
• Terrain Management
• Snowpack and Weather
• Decision making and Risk Management tools
• Skis with telemark, Randonnée, alpine touring bindings or a Splitboard
• Avalanche beacon, shovel and probe
• Appropriate size daypack
• Lunch and snacks for the day
• Extra gloves and insulated layer
• Enough water for the day
• Sun protection (sunscreen, sunglasses)
• Waterproof jacket and pants
• Knit hat, goggles, gloves, wind block (neck gator, balaclava or buff)